Wednesday 26 August 2015

The Magna Carta

The Magna Carta is probably the most important document in English history. It is 800 years since King John signed the document in 1215. The Magna Carta signalled the birth of English liberty and was the forerunner of the American Bill of Rights in 1791 and the United Nations Charter of June 1945. The City of London was sent a copy of the revised charter in 1297 after it had been confirmed by Parliament on the orders of Edward I, thus giving the document statuary powers. All major cities were given copies of the document. I believe 17 were made but I'm not sure how many have survived. This one on display at the moment in the Guildhall Gallery , London is said to be one of the best as it still has the original seal and the writing is very clear.









9 comments:

  1. Our State Library (Victoria) has one of the revised copies. It is on display, under glass and in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, to see these wonderful pieces of our history, the original and not a copy, is amazing. Thanks for sharing this with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. too bad at the time the nobles meant it to only pertain to their rights. Took too long for it to trickle down to us commoners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is very important document

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the one in the British Library last year but I don't think it had a seal. I'm surprised you could photograph this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! The copy on my Nook is not quite as historic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is shiver-inducing to know that you could see the original form of this .... Wonderful. I too am a bit surprised but happy that pictures were allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I'm always impressed with history & manuscripts and to see this ..is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing document. I was lucky enough to see one of the copies in Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.