Thursday 19 November 2015

Lincoln's Inn Fields

A very rainy day meant there was no point in my travelling out to Essex walking around my next Underground station (info here ) so I decided to stay in London and go to a museum instead. I am in Lincoln's Inn Fields, the largest public square in London.



Laid out in the 1630s, the centre of the square is a large park where I used to play netball many, many years ago. I came here today to visit Sir John Soane's Museum. He was an architect who is probably most remembered for designing the Bank of England.


 He bought 3 houses and rebuilt them from the inside out. The centre one is the light coloured stone  one above. The inside of the museum has been left just as he wanted it to be, crammed with paintings, sculptures and antiquities. Many of his architectural drawings as well as models are also displayed. Only 70 people are allowed in at any one time so there are usually queues outside. No photography is allowed so I can't show you anything. It is free entry and is definitely worth a visit.

One side of the square is Lincoln's Inn separated from the square by a brick wall. Lincoln's Inn is one of the four inns that make up the inns of court.to which barristers of England and Wales belong. It is such a pity the weather was so grey and wet making the buildings look dull.



Inside Lincoln's Inn. It was now pouring  with rain but I couldn't leave without taking  a few photos as quickly as I could of these 16th and 17th cent buildings.
                                                                   

                                                 


                                                      

                                                                  

                                                                                                   
                                 


                                                    
The chapel was open so in I went to escape the rain and have a look around.  The first chapel was built here in 1428. This chapel was built between 1620 and 1623 but there have been numerous renovations over the years.




I loved the stained glass window with the numerous heraldic shields.






Beneath the chapel is this wonderful 15th cent vaulted undercroft.
                                                                             




                                                   



                                                                        



With no let up in the weather it was time to go home. Of course one advantage of the rain was the abundance of reflections to share with James at Weekend Reflections


30 comments:

  1. wonderful architectural romp!










    Warm ALOHA,
    ComfortSpiral

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool places to visit on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing stopping you from collecting material for us readers. The rain does give photographs another perspective. The architecture is fascinating. I loved the stained glass window too and the vaulted undercroft is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tour round some of the wonderful building in the city, most people seem to miss that and the odd plaque that is full of history

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice reflections and amazing buildings. I love historical places like that.
    have a nice weekend
    gusta

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a museum I have always wanted to visit. It´s been in my guidebook for work for very long, but I never got the chance to go there (well, I forgot about it when I was in London). Hopefully next time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of this museum ! There is so much to discover in London ! Interesting building !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I wonder if you will ever run out of beautiful places for me to enjoy. So far, I continue to be amazed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed. You had me googling 'undercroft'. Have to learn something new everyday. Not a lot of those on this side of the pond. Happy Friday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a nice choice of places to visit on a rainy day. This all looks splendid. I just wondering if we will be getting snow tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What? With permission you may break the windows? Lol. I love the fancy chimney pots. Boy am I missing London!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super weather for your reflection photos! But I really love those old buildings & thanks for sharing the architectural details on them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a fun reflection with the bike:) And I love the Lincoln Inn (the red building - 16th and 17th building styles are my favorite. Thanks for sharing all this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Bike reflection is a fantastic photo.Also the tree reflecting in the water looks awesome too, very clear detailed reflection

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely reflections and city-scapes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the rainy pictures are fine ... Being from Oregon of course I'm used to that .... The real takeaway is that there is always something wonderful and interesting to do in London. And something new to learn . And also that nearly all these wonderful Museums are free!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The rain makes wonderful reflection - and I like these ones in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A place well worth a visit. And great reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been in the John Soanes museum too. It was amazing how it was packed with all the stuff he had collected during his life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very informative and interesting post as always, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The chapel is lovely and one thing about rain is it sure makes great puddles for reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  22. a perfect composition and reflection in your first shot. I like that one a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What beautiful old buildings, and I love those rainy reflections. We don't get rain like that very often here!

    ReplyDelete
  24. He certainly was a great architect ! The rainy day was at least good for taking so nice reflection pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  25. My word - you must have had a stunner of a storm! Looks like you have little lakes all through the streets!
    Hope to see you at this week's Wordless Wednesday (on Tuesday):
    http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/11/chicago.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love those reflections in the wet pavement.

    don't worry, there will be plenty more pictures from Lord Howe!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  27. The dull day really made those phone boxes stand out! I wasn't familiar with the museum so thanks for the tip. The roof of the under vault is really quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! I like these good and old buildings. I love that many people in your country are willingly to preserve them carefully. The stained glass photo is very beautiful too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! I like these good and old buildings. I love that many people in your country are willingly to preserve them carefully. The stained glass photo is very beautiful too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for reading my blog. I would love to read your comments.